HELP US STOP THE 2016 OLYMPIC GAMES FROM COMING TO CHICAGO!
Chicago is $420 million in debt and rife with corruption and incompetence. Basic services suck and our public schools are failing to serve our children:
- Only 6 of 100 Black and Latino high school freshmen males will graduate from a four year college.
- Between 2003 and 2007, white students' reading scores went up while African American, Hispanic and low-incomes student's scores went down.
- Money spent in Illinois on: Housing an adult prisoner: $21,000 Educating a child in Chicago: $10,000
- Only 9% of African American 4th graders ranked proficient or above in reading, ranking Illinois 38 out of 41 states.
- Illinois has the largest unaddressed district-to-district funding gap in the nation.
- 2005-2006 School Year Graduation Rates in Chicago
- Black males - 37%
- White males - 62% (source for these stats: http://www.saveourschoolsnow.com/facts.html)
Join the Artists Anti-Olympic Brigade! Create graphics, street art and online work to help us explain and dramatize what a MISERABLE plan this is for Chicago's future. For example,
we're thinking about a campaign "How Would Spend $2 billion?" - the conservative estimate of how much money Chicago could loose building and running the 2016 games.
Come to a public forum on Saturday, January 31st, at 6pm at UIC Student Center, 750 S. Halsted, #605
For more information: www.nogameschicago.com
---please pass this message on to your networks, fellow travelers, allies, colleagues, lovers and MySpace lurkers ---